Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Other "B" Word

Image: here

Once in awhile, when I am watching the news at night a story will catch my attention and I will begin to obsessively research. Well last night just that happened. The story I am referring to discussed the efforts of a group, Lean In, to have the word "bossy" banned. The bossy label is something that has effected women for years with the perception that if you come off as too aggressive or "bossy" then there is a good chance that the people around you will not like you.

Even young girls are starting to get the message that participating and speaking up too much in class will earn her the label of overachiever which should by no means be a bad thing! I know that I have felt this sometimes as well. I mean, a lot of my quiet demeanor comes from the fact that I am simply a very shy person. However, I have observed how some of my peers reacted to the girls who were very active and vocal during discussions--judgmental, disapproving, joking looks. 

Through high school and my time in college so far, I have had to step up a bit in group projects and presentations due to the fact that a lot of times the people in my group were not very clear and organized in terms of what they wanted to do. I am happy that I have been able to boost my leadership abilities a bit, but at the same time the voice in my head is reminding me to take it down a notch and maintain my likability.

WHY IS THIS EVEN A CONCERN?! Why is the fact that I want to get something done in an organized way a bad thing? Why can't women be the least bit assertive without being labeled bossy or mean? Is society really still that insecure?

Here is an interview with the women at the helm of this effort!

<3 Ashley

What are your thoughts on the "bossy" label? What have your experiences been with this label?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...