Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Lunar Gala: The Show

The show opened with the collection, Cocoon designed by Miriam Buchwald

I was thrilled when I received an invitation a few weeks ago to Carnegie Mellon's student run event, the Lunar Gala fashion show.  There wasn't a chance that I was going to miss out on a fun Saturday night of fashion and music so I grabbed a friend, dressed to the nines and happily (read: finally!) ventured out of my dorm for a night of fun.


I was very impressed by the overall setup and organization of the show. I don't think I really understood how skilled the night's featured designers would be! The show was made up of two acts, each featuring a handful of designers and their collections. Each collection was unique and had a little something that made it stand out from each of the others, guaranteeing quite a degree of originality in one room! While I did love each and every collection I would be lying if I said I didn't have some favorites. From time to time my friend and I would lean over to each other and communicate our thoughts over the music.


The first collection to really capture my attention was Heteroptera. Designed by junior Liana Kong, the collection features beautiful garments that would appear to have some sort of flaw. She says that she wanted to create pieces that did have slight mutations "to evoke a sense of human destruction on other living creatures as well as themselves." (quote from here



The dress on the left above is from Senhua designed by Chloe Chia, Alex Kane and Jessica Shen. The piece on the right is from Dilate by Gina Huang, Irene Joung and Angelina Namkung.


Pictured on the left is a piece from the Lumi collection designed by Christin Bongiorni and Mia Skinner. The one on the right was featured in the collection, Mureaux designed by Jacqueline Yeung and Shivani Jain.

I had a great time and it was very easy to see why the show was SOLD OUT! There is definitely some talent here in Pittsburgh in terms of designers, models and dancers (who featured between various collections!) Great job to everyone involved with the Lunar Gala!

<3 Ashley


If you were there, what was your favorite collection? If you weren't what do you think of the ones pictured here?

All photos in this post are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...