Well it's here: finals! Yes, the dreaded f-word is upon college students nationwide. As this semester comes to a close we spend these next few days up late in the library, chugging coffee by the gallons, and driving everyone around us crazy or even shutting themselves in and keeping everyone else out. While being in the throws of it all for the past few days as a newcomer I have compiled this list of steps to success when you go into the test room. Let's call it The Final Countdown.
5. S-L-E-E-P! This is possibly the most neglected thing during finals week but it is also the most important. I am not going to tell you that you should get 8 hours of sleep. While that would be absolutely ideal, I recognize that it almost completely impossible. However, it would be a huge mistake to spend all hours in the library when you could be sleeping. This week, aim for at least 4-6 hours of sleep per night. Your brain works a lot better when it has time to rest and process information.
4. Don't overdo the studying Yes there is such a thing. You can only study so much before all the information becomes muddled together and you can't tell chem from calc. Be realistic and listen to your brain when it says "We've hit the wall."
3. Make time for fun This goes along with overstudying. If you don't break up the reading and outlining, your brain may explode. What I like to do is reward myself for 5-10 minutes after every full hour of studying. I use that time to check Facebook, get on Pinterest, or anything besides worry about the Civil War and Reconstruction.
2. Watch the caffeine intake All I will say is, keep it under six cups! Eventually that stuff will begin to get toxic.
1. Be healthy Sleep well. Drink PLENTY of water. Exercise (do jumping jacks after every chapter or practice test you complete) Eat something that is recognized as food and doesn't come in a crinkly bag (I'm talking about you, Doritos!)
Happy Finals and may the odds be ever in your favor ;)
How do you get through finals?